Super Plan

NZ Post Superannuation Plan

Apply for a leaving benefit

It’s up to you to claim your benefit if you leave. The process can take three to four weeks, so you need to plan for this. For example, if you’re going overseas, you’ll need to keep a New Zealand bank account open so we can deposit your money.

Here’s what you need to do:

  • Ask Payroll for a Leaving form or download one here.
  • Scan the completed form and email it to or post it to the address on the form.

If you haven’t been paid after four weeks:

  1. Call the Payroll helpdesk and check they have completed and forwarded the form. The number is 0800 767 868.
  2. If they have forwarded the form, call the helpline on 0800 697 728 (choose option 1) or email to check progress.

Leaving your savings in the Plan

If your leaving service benefit is more than $5,000, you can choose to continue investing your savings in the Plan. You can leave either your full entitlement invested in the Plan or 80% of your entitlement (and receive the balance in cash). You can leave your savings in the Plan until age 72. If you are aged 72 or older when you leave, you can defer your benefit for up to three years. There is more information about this option on the Leaving form.

Options for members of the locked-in section

You generally won’t be able to access any savings you have in the CSF (locked-in) section if you leave the company before age 65. You will need to join a KiwiSaver scheme or another complying superannuation fund for us to transfer the balance to. You can let us know which scheme you want your CSF money paid into on the Leaving form. You need to be 65 years of age or older to be eligible to make a withdrawal.

If you qualify for a retirement withdrawal, you need to complete a statutory declaration as well as the Leaving form in order to claim your benefit. Call the helpline on 0800 697 728 (choose option 1) and ask for a CSF retirement withdrawal statutory declaration.

Continuing your life cover

Any life insurance you have with the Plan will stop when you leave. In most case, you can choose to continue this cover by transferring from an employer policy to a personal policy. You probably won’t need to provide evidence of good health, and any pre-existing conditions are usually covered. Once we receive your Leaving form, Tony O’Brien from Aon Hewitt will be in touch to explain this option further. Alternatively, you can contact Tony on (04) 819 4075 or 027 240 6759.